Word Of the President University of Tripoli
Welcome (Marhaba) to the official website of the University of Tripoli. The University of Tripoli is a public university and it is the ancestor of a number of Libyan universities that originated as branches of the faculties of the University of Tripoli and developed into large separate universities in several Libyan cities. The University of Tripoli arose from the womb of the University of Libya, where a decree was issued to establish its first college (College of Science) in 1956, which began actual teaching in the following year (1957). More than fifty years ago, the Faculties of Engineering, Agriculture and Education were established, respectively. In 1973, the University of Tripoli became an independent university. Since then, the University of Tripoli has developed and become the largest university in Libya with twenty-three faculties, three main campuses, and a number of separate faculties on the outskirts of the city of Tripoli, bringing educational service closer to the local urban communities. The University of Tripoli's reputation as a teaching and research centre has led to the great demand for graduate masters and doctoral degrees programs. Also, thousands of graduates of the University of Tripoli are now working in North America and Western Europe in the educational, medical, engineering, computer, management, economics, and other professions. Its graduates have also assumed the highest administrative positions in the Libyan state. The University of Tripoli provides an academic environment in which freedom of learning and scientific research prevails within the well-known ethical and religious frameworks. Cooperation and partnership agreements with national research centres, national universities, the Union of Mediterranean Universities (UNIMED), the Association of Arab Universities, and bilateral agreements with a number of Arab and European universities also guarantee a wide network for research activity and the exchange of students and faculty members. A point of strength is the diversity of the faculty members academic backgrounds. Most were trained in major universities in Europe and North America, Asia and South Africa and in the major Arab universities (especially in Arabic language sciences, literature and social studies). We are looking forward to expanding the university's activity in serving the local and national community and expanding its cultural, scientific and educational influence. The university also has an ambitious expansion plan in all its campuses where many of its modern buildings are nearing completion. This will lead to deepening the realization of the vision and mission of the university as a beacon of scientific and cultural radiation. In general, the University of Tripoli provides a stimulating environment for creativity for students, faculty members, and employees, allowing freedom of communication and excellence in education and scientific research. The university also provides complementary activities and supports the Student’s Union in its cultural, social and sports activities with its theatres, classrooms, playgrounds and squares, which enhances the creativity environment of the university community.
Prof. Khaled M. Oun
President, University of Tripoli
It is the vision of the University of Tripoli to achieve scientific, cognitive and behavioral distinctions for the society by the benefit of reaching an integrated and sustainable development.
The University of Tripoli seeks to:
- develop scientific competencies and skills that meet the needs of society for development.
- Involve in activities of scientific research and deliver knowledge in order to provide the best services to people, society and the world.
- Provide consultations to state institutions and civil society.
- Educate individuals through various means and channels in order to create role models of good citizens.
The University of Tripoli, through its strategic plan, seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- Offering competitive educational programs at the university and at higher education level in terms of focusing on the various majors and skills that are essential for graduates, and linking these programs, in terms of quantity and quality, with the requirements and needs of the labor market.
- Providing a stimulating environment for learning and scientific research, including the development of infrastructure, and organizational and administrative service and information.
- Achieving international quality and accreditation standards in all programs and academic fields at the university.
- Developing the scientific production of works, supporting research programs, and encouraging creativity, innovation and excellence in specific fields that serve local and international needs.
- Achieving prosperity in publishing, authoring and translation activities.
- Paying attention to the Arabic language and consolidating the values and literature of the Arab Islamic civilization.
- Strengthening bridges of communication with the community and developing local, regional and international partnerships.
- Achieving optimal investment of the university's resources and capabilities and working to increase revenues and control expenses in all fields.
Encouraging active participation in the efforts that are constantly made to locally and internationally protect and sustain the environment.